2021 Audition Dates
January 30 | February 13 | February 27
(for all programs except graduate accompanying/opera coaching)
Accompanying/opera coaching Auditions
January 22 | February 12
Music Theatre Auditions
JAn 30 | jan 31 | FEB 6 | FEB 7
feb 20 | feb 21 | feb 27 | feb 28
Additional Graduate student Auditions
January 29 (voice) | February 12 (voice)
February 26 (piano and voice)
Who is required to audition, and how are auditions scheduled?
All undergraduate applicants and graduate performance and pedagogy applicants must pass an audition to enter the College of Music. Auditions are scheduled through the College of Music Application. Applications submitted by December 1st are given first priority for audition scheduling, however, auditions will continue to be scheduled as space allows. Please apply early to secure your choice of audition date.
Is a prescreening recording required?
Prescreenings are required for the following degree programs:
- BM or BFA in Music Theatre
- BM in Piano Performance (NEW for 2020-21)
- MM or DM in Brass Performance (Trumpet, Euphonium, or Tuba only) (NEW for 2020-21)
- MM or DM in Voice Performance
- MM or DM in Piano Performance
- MM in Piano Pedagogy
These submissions are due by December 1.
How do I apply for a scholarship or graduate assistantship?
Everyone who auditions as a music major is automatically considered for talent scholarships and assistantships, and no additional application is necessary. Only graduate students interested in auditioning for Piano Accompanying or Class Piano assistantships are required an additional audition. Contact College of Music Admissions for further details.
Is an accompanist provided?
Accompanists are only provided for voice auditions. For 2020-21, students will not be permitted to provide their own accompanist for campus auditions.
Instrumentalists will play unaccompanied.
Are recorded auditions acceptable?
Update for 2020-21: Applicants are permitted to submit a recorded audition in lieu of a live audition on campus. Recorded auditions will be given equal consideration for admission and scholarship consideration, and we encourage you to make the best decision regarding travel for you and your family. Your health and safety and the health and safety of our campus community are our first priority.
Please note the following guidelines:
- Recorded auditions are to be submitted online as part of the College of Music Application. Recordings must include audio and video - no audio-only recordings, please.
- Please ensure that recordings are of the highest quality possible and that all audition requirements are uploaded, or your audition may be disqualified.
- CD/DVD submissions will not be accepted - upload your recording(s) to YouTube or Vimeo and attach to the application. YouTube videos may be Public or Unlisted, but not Private.
- Please record each selection separately and label accordingly for easy identification.
- Voice auditions must be accompanied - no a cappella singing, please.
- Exception: Applicants for Music Theatre are not permitted to submit recorded auditions.
Recorded Auditions must be submitted no later than midnight on February 1.