Florida State University is a major residential university of 16 colleges and schools with 1,440 faculty serving a student body of over 40,000. FSU has a longstanding reputation as one of the premiere institutions for the arts in the South. The Kuersteiner and Housewright buildings accommodate the largest College of Music in the Southeast and the third largest university-based in the nation. The Florida State University College of Music enrolls approximately 700 undergraduate and 400 graduate students, representing nearly every state in the nation and 20 foreign countries.
The College of Music has a history that dates back to 1900, when music instruction began with only one teacher of vocal and instrumental music. By 1911, six faculty members made up the total teaching staff. In that same year, Ella Scoble Opperman, for whom Opperman Music Hall is named, became the director of the school, and the first bachelor of music was awarded by vote of the faculty. By 1920, Professor Opperman had become the dean of the School and served in that capacity until her retirement in 1944. The College of Music proudly celebrated its centennial during the 2010-2011 school-year with the re-opening of the completely renovated Ruby Diamond Concert Hall.
For more specific information about our Concert Facilities, Music Library, the Music Living-Learning Center at Cawthon Hall, and a variety of other FSU locations choose the appropriate link in the upper right hand corner of this page.